Monday, June 4, 2012

It's the Little Things

Hey, family. Sorry to disappear for so long. I've just been doing school. But I was feeling so appreciative today and a little bit guilty about not writing, so I thought I might tell about some of the fun things that happened to me today (and maybe some of the not so good things too).
So, those of you know me really well, know that I always try to be honest, and I hate lying. But I also strongly dislike when I am in a not-perfect mood to share with others. Which is why I often despise the question how are you. I know people are just trying to be nice or friendly. But when I'm not in that perfect mood, I usually don't feel like sharing. Especially since those that ask me how I am are usually the ones that think they need to fix it, which is what I don't want. Often when I do actually tell someone how I really am, I just want them to listen, not tell me what to do and try and find a solution. If I want help, I will probably ask. Anyway, vent over.
So, this morning, I was standing in lab, halfway listening to my chemistry teacher go over the rubric for our independent project. For my chem class, you have to wear goggles and most people have these really big kind of cool looking ones. Well I noticed with my divided attention that on the lip of the goggles on the bottom it had written, "Do not use for paintball or/and simulated wargames." I thought that was hilarious and showed many other people in my class. That was one of the little wonderful things that just made my day.
I had a test for waltz in my dance class. I like waltz. It's kind of fun. I've found that I'll walk on my tiptoes a lot more since I've started taking this dance class. But the little thing that made me happy was that on the little slip of paper evaluating how I danced, my teacher had put "much improved". That meant a lot coming from him.
Another thing that made me happy was that I was able to practice ASL with some TAs and fulfill an assignment for my ASL class. It's so much fun to just sign back and forth with someone. Really, I just love learning different languages. I really wish I could learn Spanish officially.
After ASL, I ran into a friend and I was talking to him in the Talmage Building. I looked behind me and I saw one of my best friends come around the corner. We didn't say too much at first because she was on the phone. She was soon off and we were hugging and asking after one another. It was so much fun to see her! I hadn't seen her in forever, ad she's one of the most fun people I know. Yay, Talmage Building.
Umm, what else is happening with me...? Only 12 more days until I go home! My family and I have joked that it only took a year for me to want to come home. Kind of sad, but true. That and living in an apartment with people that I'm not related to and that I'm not friends with has also been a very influential factor. But seriously, I am soooo excited to go home so I can be home, not have school and have some one-on-one time with a very special 5 year old girl. Any suggestions for what Eliza and I can do during our time together? I'm also looking forward to spending some quality time with my parents and sister. End of Spring term and South Carolina, here I come!
P.S. So, as a budding Sophomore at BYU, I get to have the joyful experience of having most of the my freshman guy friends leaving for missions for two years. Anyway, I've written a few and I've read their letters home. It's just funny to me that the guys seem to think that now that they're a missionary, they also hve to preach the gospel every second. And in a sense they do, but I almost feel like they forget what it's like to have a normal conversation with someone. I guess I'm just realizing even more how great a missionary Robby and how good he was when he would write home. Thanks, Big Brother! ;)

1 comment:

Joan said...

"How are you?" is really just a greeting 99% of the time, not a sincere inquiry into someone's well being.
Sounds like you are still having fun, but nice to know you are looking forward to going home too. I know they will be glad to see you!